Monday, January 21, 2013

Menu Plan Monday






I'm sitting here this morning watching the 2nd Inauguration of President Barack Obama. I am feeling very grateful today that we live in a country where we have such a peaceful exchange of power every 4 years. True this time the presidency isn't changing hands, but there was a lot of change in Congress. And again, everything moved peacefully. I think it's amazing and I feel blessed. Today it doesn't matter if you voted for the President or not. It doesn't matter if you like him or his policies. Today we are witnesses to history! And today we see a black man inaugurated as President of the United States of America, on Martin Luther King Jrs. birthday celebration. That my friends, is history! And I'll admit it gives me goosebumps and a little thrill! OK, moving on!

In order to save money this year and help us eat healthier I have to get back to menu planning. I used to do this all the time and I loved it! I loved knowing what was going to be for dinner every night. I knew if I needed to take meat out the night before to defrost. I knew if I needed to run out and get carrots if I forgot them so I could make the roast. It saved us a buttload every month and I got very good at it! And then, I stopped! lol- but it's coming back this year! Oh it's coming back! I will be rejoining Menu Plan Monday over at I'm An Organizing Junkie. Laura has such a great, inspiring blog. She hosts this wonderful Link-Up every week. So far this week there are almost 100 menu plans linked up! And it's only 11:36 on Monday morning. Need some inspiration for this week? Go check it out! But warning, do not browse on an empty stomach! You've been warned!! lol

I went looking in the freezer in the garage to see what we had in there. Let's just say I don't need to buy meat for a while! We have 2 large turkeys, 5 pounds of ground chicken, 2 pounds of sausage (1 Italian and 1 regular), 2 packages of polish kielbasa, several chuck roasts, 1 rump roast, some chicken breast, 4 pounds of beef stew meat! And that's not even all of it I don't think! All I really need to do this week is buy milk, fresh veggies and fruits and juice. So, here's my plan for this week. As I make things I will try to remember to take pictures and then come back and write up recipes and link them back to this post. So if you see something that looks good check back. Oh and I'll also be making bread again in a day or so and I'll link up my bread recipe then. 

Monday: Vegetable Beef Soup, Honey Biscuits
Tuesday: Italian Sausage Spaghetti, Garlic Bread Sticks,Green Salad
Wednesday: Tangy Apple Chicken Loaf (a new to us recipe from All Recipes, I'll let you know what we think!), Mashed potatoes, Glazed carrots, Dinner Rolls
Thursday: Leftovers (it's dance night-things are crazy! We won't eat til after 7! Keep it simple, clean out the fridge, win win!)
Friday: Beef and Broccoli Teriyaki Stirfry, Steamed Rice
Saturday: Date night for Mom and Dad, whatever the sitter decides to feed the kids!
Sunday: Roast Turkey, Sweet Potato Casserole, Green Beans, Stuffing, Dinner Rolls

So that's what's on the plan this week. Don't have to get much from the store. Some applesauce and Dijon mustard for the chicken loaf, carrots, salad, sweet potatoes, a couple of onions (one to stuff up a turkey butt (lol), one for the chicken loaf). Other than that I have everything else on hand. Love weeks like this!! I'll be putting the veggie soup in the slow cooker soon. I'll take pictures and post the recipe. So easy but sooo yummy!!

No comments: